As the end of summer draws near, marked by the Labor Day celebrations, many of us will be having a final barbecue or beach party with friends and family. While the old favorites, such as hamburgers, steak, and hot dogs are wonderful, why not add some variety by making these tasty lobster rolls?
The recipe is really simple and from the great book by the Deen Brothers, Recipes from the Road. This recipe was discovered by them when they reached Portland, Maine. They suggest that unless you are on the Maine coast, you should make your own lobster rolls, and as an alternative to bread, you could serve the lobster salad in avocado halves, which is really helpful for those who are allergic to wheat and wheat products.
Lobster Roll Ingredients
- 4 1 1/2 lb lobsters or 4 lobster tails (or 1 1/2 pounds lobster meat)
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 inner celery stalks and leaves, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 rolls, split and lightly toasted or two avocados, split in half
- Remove the meat from the lobsters, chopping any large chunks into bite-size pieces.
- In a bowl, combine the lobster meat, mayonnaise, lemon juice, celery, parsley, and pepper to taste.
- Brush cut sides of the rolls with melted utter and fill with the lobster salad, or if using avocado fill each half with the salad and garnish with a slice of lemon and a sprinkle of cayenne pepper.
If you decide to grill lobster and serve it simply with drawn butter, then this lobster claw cracker in the picture from the Gourmet Fusion store Seafood Tools collection is a must. It is one of our most popular items, as it is stylish, functional and fun and cracks the toughest of claws. It has not been defeated yet!