With salads on everyone's mind this week, due to the really hot weather we have been having here in Southern California, I remembered this great recipe which is essentially grilled chicken brushed with a soy-spice mixture, then served on bed of spinach and drizzled with a soy vinaigrette.
At only 478 calories per serving, and easy to make, why not give it a try?
Ingredients (serves 6)
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 9 cups torn fresh spinach
- 1 11-ounce can mandarin orange sections, drained
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced
- 6 medium skinless, boneless chicken breast halves (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon five-spice powder
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 avocados, peeled and sliced
- First make the soy vinaigrette. In a small bowl, combine the red wine vinegar, soy sauce, and garlic. Whisk in the olive oil, set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the spinach, oranges, and onion; toss to mix.
- Rinse the chicken in cold water; pat dry with paper towels.
- In a small bowl, combine the soy sauce, oil, honey, five-spice-powder, garlic and ginger. Brush the chicken with the soy-spice mixture.
- Grill the chicken in an uncovered grill directly over medium coals or 6 to 7 minutes. Turn and brush with the soy-spice mixture and cook for 6 to 7 minutes more.
- Divide the spinach mixture among 6 individual plates. Slice each chicken breast into 1/2-inch thick slices. Place the chicken on the spinach. Arrange the avocado slices around the chicken.
- Drizzle each salad with some of the vinaigrette.