This recipe was inspired by one of the newer sauces that we carry in the Gourmet Fusion store - our Rustic Spanish Sofrito Sauce. It makes a great side dish with steak, or fish, and is a simple appetizer or tapas.
Sofrito sauce is a tomato sauce that is often used as the base sauce in traditional paella. It is different to an Italian tomato sauce as it contains almonds which give it a subtle sweetness. Our recipe is simplicity itself, and tastes delicious.
- 1lb small potatoes (fingerling, or similar)
- 2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons spanish sofrito sauce (to cover)
- parsley for garnish
- Steam the potatoes until just cooked, approximately 8-10 minutes.
- Remove from steamer and set aside to cool slightly.
- Cut the potatoes in half or quarters, depending on their size, to make bite sized pieces.
- Heat the olive oil in a saute pan for 2-3 minutes, then add the cooked potatoes.
- Saute the potatoes for 2-3 minutes, and season with the salt and pepper.
- Add the sofrito sauce to the potatoes, and gently heat.
- When the sauce has heated through, serve in ramekins or cazuela dishes, and garnish with a sprig of parsley.
Sofrito Sauce can be found in the Gourmet Fusion store at the Leaping Lotus, or in our online store.
This versatile sauce is also good as a base for pizza. Stop by the store for our gala on Thursday December 3rd and try some for yourself.