If you want to invite people round for a casual meal, but don't want to spend hours preparing and cooking when they get there, these chicken fajitas are a sure way to please everyone. Not only do they taste wonderful, but they have only 297 calories per serving (2 tortillas per person).
The recipe is taken from the New Dieter's Cookbook (Better Homes and Garden) that bases its slimming concept on variety, balance and moderation. By not giving up all your favorite foods, you can continue eating the same type of foods after you have reached your slimming goal. The belief is that if a diet doesn't fit your likes and needs, you probably won't stick to it. In this recipe plain low-fat yogurt replaces the usual sour cream used in Mexican dishes.
Chicken Fajitas (Preparation Time 10 mins; Cooking time 10 mins; Low Fat; Low Cholesterol)
- 8 6-inch flour tortillas
- Nonstick spray coating
- 1 small onion, sliced and separated into rings
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium sweet red or green pepper, cut into bite-size strips
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil or olive oil
- 9 ounces boned skinless chicken breast halves, cut into bite-size strips
- 1/3 cup salsa
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- 1/4 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- Wrap tortillas in foil. Place in a 300 degrees oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until heated through.
- Meanwhile, spray a large skillet with nonstick spray coating.
- Add onion and garlic; stir-fry for 2 minutes.
- Add red pepper and stir-fry for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Remove from skillet.
- Add oil to skillet. Add chicken and stir-fry for 3 to 5 minutes or until chicken is tender and no longer pink.
- Return vegetables to skillet and add salsa.
- Cook and stir until heated through.
- To serve, divide chicken mixture evenly among tortillas. Top with shredded lettuce. Dollop with yogurt and sprinkle with green onion. Roll up tortillas.
Nutrition information per serving: 297 calories; 24 g protein; 33 g carbohydrate; 7 g fat; 55 mg cholesterol; 197 mg sodium; 373 mg potassium.